Sunday, July 16, 2006

Update on the church home front

A big "thank you" to all of you who have been praying for us during our search for a new church home. It is a bittersweet transformation...we still very much love Pastor Linus and the people of Ascending Praise, but, alas, it has become too far of a drive and we miss being involved with more than just Sunday mornings. Our search began in earnest back in January and admittedly we have been slow to decide. Part of it has been our lack of experience in this regard. We also felt like we had to do "due diligence" by going to several meetings, meeting several families and sitting down with the pastors at several locations. All of this takes time and a great deal of patience. However, we have finally felt some peace about our decision to join Real Life Church, an Assemblies of God church in Roseville. Our new pastor, Pete Drake, has a really strong desire to take the church out beyond the walls of the building and reach people where they are. We are excited and nervous because he has set forth a vision that is really not at all "church as usual"...at least not what is usual to us. I believe Christ is challenging us to think differently about our practical Christianity. To stretch ourselves beyond our comfort zone. To realize we DO NOT have this all figured out and MAYBE we've been wrong about some assumptions. I don't know...but that's part of the adventure, isn't it? After all, I have been praying for the Lord to always keep me teachable and we can't be teachable if we get "set in our ways" and sure of ourselves, now can we?

Please continue to pray for us as we make the transition to a new home and reach out to establish new relationships in the body of Christ. Pray for an "opening up" from both ends so that not only do we reach out eagerly, but are embraced just as eagerly. Pray that God will open doors for us to minister within and without the body. I would personally ask you all to pray that God would help me to find ways to use the creative talents he's given me. My heart is for worship through music and drama, both of which seem a bit out of reach at this new church...we will see. I don't want to jump to any conclusions. It could be the Lord trying to move me in a different direction, or it could just be my own insecurities trying to rear their ugly head and keep me from fulfilling my niche. I only want to obey and please Him. Rob and I also feel a very strong pull to minister to marriages, especially those who may be hurting. We have for a while, but feel like the Lord is just now bringing us around to a place where we can be a sieve instead of a sponge! :) If the journey of the last 8 years has been to bring us to a place to help others, then it has all been worth it (but don't get me wrong...I DO NOT want to go there again!) Praise be to God for His faithfulness!

Love to all!
Lori

1 comment:

Teri said...

Lori,
Ray so rarely checks his email any more we just got word on your blog site! Thanks so much for sending it - glad I could be an inspiration! :) I love reading it and hearing how you all are doing. I've thought of you a lot recently! So...I have now added you to my favorites list of friends who have joined the blogging ranks and will check in with you guys often. We love and miss you! - Teri for the gang here
ps. Love the pics - keep 'em coming! :)