Thursday, October 26, 2006

While daddy's away, mom goes insane.

I've had several calls these last 2 weeks from many of you dear friends and family checking up on me while Rob has been out of town. I am doing fine, but the experience has given me a new profound respect for single mothers. I honestly don't know how they do it day in and day out. Of course, my experience might be exaggerated a bit since 1) I do not live near a grandma that I can bum childcare off of, and 2) I am not used to going it alone, so I have not learned the specific skills to do so gracefully.

Yesterday I yelled at my 19 month old for dumping his plate of fruit in the floor. Ugh. He looked at me like "now honestly, mother, how is this behavior any different than any other day? Why are you yelling? Have you gone mad?" and proceeded with his little gravity experiment. Ethan would have been in tears, and I would have followed. Not Noah. He points out the absurdity of my behavior by not letting it phase him. So one deep breath and a quick trip to my knees in prayer and we were all back to "normal"...whatever that is.

In that respect, having Rob gone for an extended period is good - it makes me take stock of me. It gives me a chance to see how easily I rely on him for my strength or spiritual guidance, when I should be relying in Christ. It gets me back on track.

Not that I'm advocating for him to be gone more often....oh, how I miss him! His absence also reminds me what a terrific man he is and how much I love that my husband is also my best friend. :)

No comments: