Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Update on homeschooling...

As some of you know, at the moment I plan on homeschooling both boys(I say "at the moment" because I'm pretty sure I will despite my waffling on days when I just need to get away from my kids...). Not sure for how long, but the current state of public education (academics, socialization, world view, etc.) and the innocence and open-ness of my son's minds makes me realize the seriousness of the task ahead...to raise God-fearing, moral children who experience a relationship with Christ and learn to love Him. So, I feel until their character is a bit more "set", I want to lay a strong foundation at home.

This is not going to be easy. There are times that I miss a classroom full of smart-aleck 7th graders (believe it or not), not to mention the financial strain. God has provided some opportunities to fulfill both and I see the opportunities growing steadily. As I have networked with some homeschooling organizations and groups, I'm finding the demand for science teachers to be astounding! I have had 2 offers this year from groups I've never met asking me to be their coop science teacher and one who had already filled their class offering, but wanted to keep my info on hand for next year! Praise the Lord. It's not nearly as much money as I would be making full time in public school, but 1) I don't have to grade papers, 2)I'm around other homeschoolers for support 3) I get to teach lots of kids that are well-behaved, 4) it helps buy the groceries or put gas in the car (or it least it would have helped with the gas when I signed on 2 months ago...$3.00/gallon!!! HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!)

I also have come across a homeschooling accreditation organization that is (from what I have seen so far) WONDERFUL and they are giving me an opportunity to become a consultant for their families. I'm excited about this, but a bit nervous. I feel God has presented this to me, but also feel my own shortcomings...how can I "consult" another family when I've never done this myself? Guess that's where my professional training will come in handy.

Please keep us in prayer as we begin this journey. It's one thing to learn to trust in the Lord when it's just you. Another when it involves your spouse. And a completely different monster all together when it involves your offspring who are completely trusting you to make the right decisions for them. Add to that the keen awareness that they technically aren't MY kids...their HIS. Talk about feeling inadequate! I know in whom I believe. If He is leading, and I am following, then the details will take care of themselves.

1 comment:

Teri said...

I just got your note Lori. I need clarification on your address. Can you send me the address again. It didn't like that there was a space between Lori funderburk_fmaily@msn.com.

As to homeschooling...we are right there with you. I am currently emailing you about our decision to homeschool too. Totally not what I expected! But I think the right choice for us at this time. I would love to hear more about what you are getting involved with!

I need to run for now. I will write more soon. By the way, my email address is terisommer@yahoo.com. Ray hardly ever checks his email anymore!
Blessings, Teri for the gang here...