Saturday, September 1, 2007

MN State Fair 2007

I know it's basically the same thing every year, but I love it, I love it, I love it! Who can resist the State Fair? The smelly animals, the shameless consumerism, the greasy food, the nauseating rides, the sore feet, the frustrating crowds...and the laughter and memories. The excitment in your children's eyes. The comfort of sharing a tradition.

This year we got to see a calf being born! Ethan's reaction was "Mommy, that's kind of gross." Yes. Yes it is. And strangely beautiful. I can do without the vets strapping on gloves up to their shoulders then sticking their entire arms up the animals vagina to assist...but otherwise it's an amazing moment to see a new creation being brought into this world. It brought me back to the first moments I laid eyes on my two beautiful boys - I cried when I finally got the privilege of seeing the faces of these people who had been doing flip flops in my uterus for months. It's a magical moment.
Noah got to ride the rides this year. He's my daredevil. He doesn't even stop to consider that he might not like it or it might be scary - that is not even a concept to him. Ethan even tried a roller coaster this year...and LOVED it! I thought sure we were gonna have to change his pants he was laughing so hard! Of course the favorite of my boys is machinery hill. Honestly, I think if I didn't buy a single ride ticket and just let them play on the lawn mowers and tractors all day, they'd be perfectly content. All in all - a fun day at the fair! The Funderburk family tradition continues...can't wait until NEXT year! :) Some of you should really consider joining us - you are always welcome to stay in my home when you visit! I'm STILL waiting for the promised visit from my cousin Angie and my brother Brandon.....(looks at watch....drums fingers on table....) :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe next year grandma and grandpa might brave the crowds...i don't know if we could take it or not....looks like some people have toooooo much fun. you guys looked great and soooooo brave on those rides. glad you had such a good time and did not break tradition. one day angie and brandon will fool all of us. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Ok...quit the trash talk. I feel like I've got to leave a comment and defend myself. I want to visit, but it would be like what a 17 hour drive for me? My funds are to low to fly right now, but as it has been so elequently pointed out that there are cheaper ways to check. What is the saying...you either have time or money but rarely both. So...I'm in the time no money category. The State Fair looks like a blast. I know I would love to visit. But be honest, if you had just a few days to take off... would you go to the beach in 8 hours or freeze your butt of in MN in 17? I'll get there...someday. And it may be sooner than you think.

I love you,

Angie