Saturday, August 30, 2008

Desensitization

I just said goodbye to my boys for the weekend with their dad. Breathing deeply, praying fervently. These words in the refrain of a Sarah Groves song come to mind....

"I only have two eyes, but You're all seeing.
I only have two hands, but You are everywhere.
I do not know enough, but You're all-knowing.
I give my baby up into Your care."

I want to guard them from evil, wickedness, yes. But I also want to guard them from mediocrity, apathy. I want to protect their innocence - not slowly inoculate them to sinful life by a little exposure here and there until it's no big deal - and they are numb. In one of our court sessions, I pointed out some pictures that Rob had exposed Ethan to that were inappropriate (mostly bikini, but some thumbnails of erotic sci-fi art/book covers). But the spirit of mediocrity and desensitizing took over and I was told "Oh, your kids will see worse than this." Not on my watch. Not if I can help it. I really don't care what the world deems as "acceptable" - I am not a citizen of this world. And neither are my children. And I do not apologize for trying to live to a higher standard. My King beckons me to it. And Christian or not, those pictures send a message to young boys...'women are primarily for your pleasure' and 'sex is just another thing to do - no big deal.'

Desensitization happens to us all, I know. But if I can help them retain or gain a bit more sensitivity to the things of God than I have, or for a little bit longer, then maybe they will be someone who makes a huge difference in this world. Maybe they can grow up to be men of God who do not accept the status quo - but rise above it. I want them to grow up not feeling this need to "tolerate" sin - but to have compassion AND boldness to call it out - not with a self righteous spirit, but one who is willing to reach into the pit and rescue people who are in it.

Hmmm...I want that for myself, too.

Oh, Jesus - teach us to have your Agape love for all humanity and for you. The radical love that would call a person out for their sin, but then embrace them and show them a better way. That would allow a man to take on the fault and punishment of people who are abusing him, and still be able to say "forgive them - they don't understand." That would socialize with a prostitute despite what might happen to his reputation so that he can help her see WHY she is trying to fill a void incorrectly...and then showing her the love she is REALLY searching for.

Less of me and more of You, Jesus. Circumcise my heart.

No comments: