Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Frustration

I am currently experiencing this emotion on many levels and in many areas of my life at once. It makes me very edgy and irritable. But the one I want to vent about right now is...

sound systems.

I stopped counting how many hours it took me to set up the system, then change the plot due to failing mics or in the interest of tweaking the sound. Then having to adjust and mark the monitor fields so that live mics don't "wander" into them and cause feedback. Then having to reassign frequencies and channels and re-sync numerous wireless packs. Then having to watch in helpless horror as mic after mic died due to the mistreatment of said mic or the age of it. Then having to trouble shoot why in the heck it STILL won't work (is your antenna covered? Have you muted it? is the master button depressed? Has it come unplugged? Are you getting interference from the Walkie Talkies or someones cell phone? etc., etc., etc.)

Now, the mics we ordered were shipped to some OTHER location in Ohio, and may or may not reach us by opening night - Tomorrow. If not, the company responsible has graciously offered to let us use theirs...which will require MORE hours of tear down, set up, finding frequencies, channels, re-syncing...

I've decided. I don't want to be a sound technician when I grow up. I only want to play one on TV. :) The sound problems is TOTALLY negating any sexiness I achieved from the lights. In fact, it is the black hole of sexiness. Now I'm just a frazzled, tired, middle-aged teacher who is talking to naughty technology. They will be coming to take me away!!!!!

No comments: