Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sunday School

We are starting a new study in Sunday School we are calling Issues of The Mind. It reminds me of a couple of books I read years ago. One: The Three Battlegrounds (I believe by Frangipane) and the other is The Battle for the Mind (I can't remember the author). It has reminded me that every battle we face as Christians begins in the mind. Period. Satan plants thoughts. The thoughts themselves are not sin - but if we dwell on them, allow them to take on flesh and blood, and act on them - that is where sin comes in. And unfortunately, our culture has become one that equates the mind your heart. If you think it, that must be who you truly are and therefore you are obligated to act on it. We make emotional decisions - and our emotions and whims change on a dime. One minute we have too much. Next not enough. One minute I am happy. Next I am of all men most miserable. One minute, this person is wonderful. The next minute I want someone else. It's really childish and immature - especially when adults do it. But we teach it to our kids and it continues to spiral downward. The Word says "The human heart is deceitful above all things. Who can know it?" Too many of us live according to our very deceitful hearts and we've been warned not to do that. Walk by FAITH. NOT by sight. Our happiness is not God's primary concern. The well-being of our souls are. And it can be well with our souls when all around us is disaster.

Our class listed several issues that we all wrestle with and decided to search the Truth for the way to fight against these issues in our minds. After all, we cannot fight spiritual battle in fleshly ways. So I am going to share with you some of the issues and scriptures. Perhaps they will help you. If you have other scriptures to add, I'd love to hear them from you. After all, there is a reason Christ sent his disciples out in twos...we are not designed to do this alone. We need each other.

Issue 1 - Bad/Evil thoughts:
Ps.139:23-24 "Search me, O God and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts; and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

2Cor.10:3-5 "For thought we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh; for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds, casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

Phil. 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; fir there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Rom. 12:2 "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Psalm 19:14 "May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight,O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Don't let the enemy win.
Lori

No comments: