Thursday, March 26, 2009

Things that make me enjoy teaching

I have to write a book one day of all the funny, insane, unbelievable things adolescents do and say in school...but I'm afraid parents would never want to send their kids back! (LOL)

Today, a 9th grader, 15 years old, got her hand STUCK in the opening of the chair. No one, not even she, is completely sure how she did it. We greased her up with lotion and wiggled it out. Both hand and owner are ok.

But I almost wet myself. Now I know you are not supposed to laugh at your students, but c'mon! How can you NOT laugh at the absurdity!

Especially when I'm mostly NOT laughing of late at how lazy they are all getting. This time of year is terrible in academia. In far enough to be tired of it all, not close enough to the end to really care yet. All that equals an apathy the size of a small planet, an increase in cheating, a laxing of behavior, attitude, personal responsibility/pride/high standards. Coupled with an increase in hormones. My approach to the PDA - embarrass them as much as I can. Sigh, it get's tougher to do that every year.

No comments: