Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Frog Dissection

At first I wasn't sure ending the year with dissection was a good idea. However, the wisdom soon proved itself...my students, who had mentally checked out last month was suddenly engaged and mentally present! I had a first this year... WARNING: GROSS PICS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC FOLLOW (us bio teachers find it cool, but I realize we are a strange breed...)








So I open up this frog and it's stomach is HUGE. I knew something was in there. Now I've been doing this for 18+ years, so it's not unusual to find contents of bugs and things in there. But I was not prepared for an ENTIRE BEETLE!!! Still intact. I am witnessing Mr. Froggies last meal.



Then, apparently, Mr. Froggie struck gold with a Beetle nest or something. There were a total of 5 beetles, completely intact. The biggest one was about the size of a nickel.





All in all, a great year for my first one back after being a stay at home mommy. If I had to do it, I at least did it right. Thanks to all my 08-09 students from Lakota East Freshman School!

No comments: