Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Ethan's New Room

As some of you know from previous posts, I started the process of moving Ethan from the small room upstairs to the larger room downstairs (across from his brother) that we had been using as an office (the office is now the small room upstairs). The move itself was quite a project and getting Ethan's slide bed put together was the next big thing. Well, it's taken me 3 months total, but everything is finally done and I'm rather pleased with the results. None of this was planned, really...it kind of unfolded as we went - which is what made it so fun. We ended up with a "knight and dragon" theme, which I'm very happy about. This theme can be used as a teaching tool both from a faith standpoint and a "growing up to be a man" standpoint! Much better than the Disney 'theme of the day' if you ask me!



Sir Ethan slaying the fierce dragon


I found a "treasure chest" looking toybox that I may get to replace the snoopy one. Gotta keep the snoopy one - it's vintage...I'll probably stick it back up in the office to keep some toys in for the kids when I'm working - we kept the snoopy theme in there (from when it was Ethan's room). You can also see we had a lot of fun one day making paper snowflakes.
Thank you, IKEA!! The shelves, the dragons and the curtains - and all for under $70!
You can't tell the pictures that well because they technically aren't pictures. Every poster I found of dragons was a bit too "graphic" for a preschooler. But I found a couple of really cool scrapbook pages at Michaels - one with a dragon in shadow breathing glittery fire, and another with a knight in full armor on horseback. I framed them along with a page that looks like a piece of parchment - on that one I wrote out "the Knight's Code", laminated it and put it on his bulletin board. TEACHING MOMENT!!!! It's actually come in quite useful when teaching character traits.
This is one of my favorite parts - a $10 set of plastic armor found at Target!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool.....great job......couldn't have done better myself.....very creative...........mom