Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hollow, Deceptive Philosophy

I have had the great pleasure of re-connecting with many old high school friends via a discussion board one of them set up. It's been a lot of fun and a great apologetic exercise for me. Many on the board would claim to be atheist, or at least agnostic. Then there are many other faiths represented, including a "universe is God" view. There are a few Evangelicals, but needless to say, I am horribly outnumbered, and have been praying earnestly before many of my faith-related posts.

Now I know beyond any shadow of any doubt that there are no coincidences with God. Wouldn't you know it, but right in the height of a very good discussion on the nature of Truth with these friends, I find myself in a Bible study of the book of Colossians. And here is what I read:

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority." (Col. 2:8-10)

AMEN! Sometimes those hollow philosophies can sound very reasonable...but in the end, they deny the deity of Christ and elevate man to god, creating relativistic truth - which is no truth at all. So, together with all the saints I proclaim: "To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power for ever and ever!" (Rev. 5:13b)

No comments: