Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fathomless...

I am witnessing more and more of professing Christians who twist truth and scripture to justify and "support" their sinful, selfish choices. It sickens my heart. While I know I need to make sure my own house is in order, I certainly don't want the "sticks in my eye" pointed out by the person with a "log" in their own. I heard it best stated once..."I don't want a fat preacher telling me not to smoke."

I cannot understand it. I see it more and more around the breakup of marriages. My own ex tried this tactic. It's as if the offender thinks anyone who tells them they are wrong is being unloving, ungracious, and somehow that means that God has approved of them and their decision - becuase he is giving them the grace to bless their "persecuters" (those who tell them they are in sin).

This must be what the Word means when we are told that people who willfully sin loose their ability to understand. They become fathomless. Their eyes and heart are darkened. They are given over to the choices they make. Really...how else would someone who has experienced the love and power and forgiveness of the Almighty God ever choose to willfully disobey him if their soul was not calloused in some way? I wonder if they become permanently damaged? If they are ever allowed to go back to the state they once were in? Maybe that is why they can do so little to think so highly of themselves...they have lowered their standard so much that even a mouse can reach it.

It's scary to watch. And it keeps me on my own knees. Search me, 'O God, and see if there is any wicked way within me. Know my heart. Reveal it to me and lead me in the everlasting way. Cleans me, God. For I am a wretch apart from you. Your Holiness and Your standard are beyond my ability to attain, therefore I need your grace and the blood of Christ to cleans me daily. May I never do anything to offend my maker or to break His heart. I want to be clean. Please may I NEVER understand why some people would choose to settle for living in a garbage can when we can, in Christ, go from glory to glory. And God, let me NEVER use your grace as an excuse to misbehave. God forbid. Let me NEVER excuse away your standard for my own happiness or comfort. God forbid. Let me NEVER choose myself over you or anyone else. God forbid.

Teach me the balance of how to show love and grace to brothers and sisters who have fallen, while not excusing them and being bold enough to point out their sin if they don't see it or if they have decided even though this is wrong, I'm still going to do it. This is love - to not ignore the sin, but also being willing to help them out of the pit. If all I do is preach, then that is not love. If all I do is say "you are ok in spite of what you are doing", then that is also not love. Love says "hey...did you know you are swimming in sewage? Here, let me help you out of there and show you where you can go to get a shower and clean clothes, etc." If the swimmer says "yeah, and I like it", well then, that doesn't mean I have to say "OK. That's fine. Guess that is OK for you. I support your decision. I'll never speak of it again. As a matter of fact, I won't even expect you to ever get out...you let me know if you need something and I'll go get it for you and bring it to you so you can enjoy your crap." I obviously can't make them get out, but I can, from time to time remind them of the dangers of gangrene and infections, and disease and remind them I know where they can get clean. Isn't that our obligation as Christians? Especially towards those who still claim to be part of the fellowship?

I struggle with Paul's teaching: first you confront them. If they don't listen, take a few brothers/sisters with you. If they still don't listen, take them before the body. If they still don't listen, cut them off. Are we, as the body of Christ, allowing open, festering wounds to continue in our congregations and spreading the infection? Where is church discipline in our age? Could this be why we see an outbreak of divorce and broken homes in our churches and this swapping of spouses? Could this be why we see our young women dressing immodestly? Could this be why we see gluttenous, wasteful, consumer driven congregations? Could this be why we see jealousies and covetuousness amongst us?

Your input is certainly welcome. I don't have the answers. All I know is that when the body of Christ looks so much like the world, how can we then claim to be a peculiar, set apart people? And I'm not calling for a move back to legalism, but we do need a move back to holiness, I think.

No comments: