Monday, May 18, 2009

Dinosaurs Unearthed

I took the boys to the museum center this last Saturday to see the dino exhibit and Omni movie before they were gone. It's a very nice set up - in the old Union Terminal. Several museums and a reasonable family pass price. May look in to that. Here are the boys outside the entrance.


The exhibit was fossils, skeletons, and a lot of animatronics. Which do you think my boys were most interested in? Hmmmmm???
Veliciraptors

I don't remember what this one is. They've really gone all the way with this "dinos became birds" scenario now.

Protoceretops

don't remember this one's names...one of the "first birds", but not Archeopteryx...I know that one.

A juvenile TRex. There was another one covered in downy fur. Again with the bird scenario. Listen, when I was a kid, dinos were reptiles. Cold blooded reptiles. And Pluto was a planet. That's the beauty of science...nothing ever stays the same. Except gravity. (bummer - I'd kinda like to fly)

The TRex models were fabulous! The first one Ethan ever saw was at Wall Drug in SD. He would not go anywhere near it. Now, I believe he would have mounted these and taken a ride!

Dilophasaurus


Juvenile TRex from another angle. Sans kids... no, they did not get eaten.

Here's momma...

Momma after Weight Watchers! :)

Pterodons/Pteradactyles

Unless I'm mistaken, this would be a Plesiosaur.

Apatasaur

Parasaurolophus

Triceratops

Stegasauri. and humans.

Another view of the stegasaurus.

The boys in front of the Brachiosaurus (I think) outside the museum.
One thing I found intriguing about the movie...they kept coming back to "we think all these mass burial sites are due to sudden flooding". But, of course, it couldn't be what you and I are both thinking, could it? ;)

It was a very fun day.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Man. You know your dinos!

Lori said...

1) I'm a biology teacher.
2) I'm the mother of 2 young boys.

I think knowing your dinos is a requirement or something. I didn't set out to learn them...it happened by default. :)