Saturday, May 16, 2009

Voice surgery

I have it scheduled for June 12. Please be praying. I feel pretty confident in this doctor. He seems to be sensitive to the fact that 1) I use my voice in my career and 2) I get great pleasure in singing and want to continue. While there is no guarantees, of course, he did say he takes extra care and does a few little extra things to aid the healing and protect the cords for people like me - who don't want to simply restore their voice, but want to try to get it back to its original quality.

The rest will be in God's hands. I was having a discussion with a friend last night about how there are times that I don't know what to do without my voice. I feel lost and invisible. And maybe that's the problem. Perhaps God is stripping me of everything I've ever put my identity and worth in to show me that all I really need is Him. I know when my voice first started going I wasn't sure how to worship. I used my voice to glorify God. But it didn't take me long to realize that I have many other "instruments" by which I can praise Him, so I threw myself into using those. I want my voice back, but if it is never restored, I will still praise Him. Through the dance, through my writing, through motherhood, as a teacher, through my relationships with friends and family, through service, and the hardest of all: through my attitudes - at least I will keep trying to do the last one (I don't always succeed, surprise, surprise! )

Please pray that the hands of God will guide the surgeon and will touch my body with healing that only He can provide. The human body amazes me. A wondrous creation that God has given wondrous abilities to. But there is only so much Biology can do - the rest if up to God. Biology can heal my chords. But only God can restore my voice.

And I simply cannot imagine that He has pursued me and sustained me thus far only to drop me and walk away.

1 comment:

David and Donna said...

We will be praying for you. Keep us posted.