Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New experiences

I have had a myriad of opportunities come my way lately that I've been very excited about, AND have broadened my horizons. I've had sushi and sake' (very interesting - also learned a lot about Japanese culture and dining through the experience - fascinating), I've learned to play Disc Golf, I've gotten back involved in theater (at school)and will be (this week to be exact) going to a community theater production (haven't been to one in years and very excited to be going and scoping out how I can get involved as my boys get bigger) and have been able to explore a few museums of late (will be going to the Creation Museum this weekend). I've been introduced to Strength Finders and the Organic Church Movement (can't really say much yet...just introduced), been able to see lots of movies - old and new, may be taking Salsa dancing lessons this summer, have rediscovered my childhood at Kings Island, and I've been making new friends (both male and female) through Divorce Care, my activities, Facebook...all in all, I'm having fun kind of discovering me as a single woman.

Still working on the balance factor, though. I really need to get more involved at my church and find some group-type things for my kids to be involved in. Cub Scouts didn't really catch on with Ethan this year, but he liked his Divorce Care for Kids classes. Noah seems to be having fun in preschool and learning a ton. Ethan has experienced many successes of late and seems to be liking school more. I'd like to join the Y if I can swing it. They have some fun classes for the kids, too.

None of this would have been possible without the help of my mom and dad. They have been invaluable to me.

The summer holds the potential of yet more adventure and discovery. Ethan and Noah will be spending some time in SC with Grandma and Grandpa Funderburk. I will be having surgery and I hope I will be able to travel a bit while the boys are gone - not too far, just around my state to rediscover all the history and nature of Ohio. And visit friends in different areas of the state. I hope to take the boys for a short jaunt to South Bass Island, my childhood vacation place. I may get to take them through Cleveland, TN to check out Lee University...mommas Alma Mater. Haven't been back since 1994 and to my understanding, Lee has basically taken over the city! Would also like to take a couple of weeks back in MN to see old friends, visit Real Life Church, and let the boys visit their dad.

You know, everyone says that God can cause some good to come out of things like a divorce if we let Him. I didn't believe them. I didn't want to believe there could be anything good about the breakdown of a family. But now I'm seeing what they mean...the circumstance itself isn't good. However, we can stay there, or we can move on and find a way to redefine our new existence in good ways. I would have stayed in my "married rut"...being single has given me back my curiosity and a freedom to try new things with new people. To redefine myself as Me, alone...not part of a couple. Don't get me wrong, I like being part of a couple...but it's also nice to not have to answer to anyone for my preferences or for my schedule, or for my likes or dislikes. To just be me. And in that I'm also learning that sometimes the enjoyment level is all about the company. Dinner becomes an adventure when you are out on a date. Taking a walk has new meaning when you are with a friend. Riding bikes (or roller coasters) is more fun with your kids. Reading a book is better when shared and discussed. Experiencing your children's milestones is much more rewarding with family. Shopping is more fun with mom. Sitting at a coffee shop can be romantic if you are with a gentleman, or can be a barrel of laughs if you are out with a group of gals. Even the challenges met with single parenting and homemaking can be looked at positively - I don't really have to worry about consulting someone else when I need or want to make a decision for the boys. Things can be done quicker and more efficiently, because the buck stops here. Don't have to worry about keeping house to someone else's approval, squeezing the toothpaste tube on the end, or which way I put the toilet paper roll on the dispenser. And all that can be a nice break.

I really hope that I don't loose myself so easily in my next relationship. Instead of defining myself by the relationship or the other person, I want the relationship and other person to enhance me, and I them. Someone with whom I can continue to grow and have new experiences with. Someone of whom I will never stop wanting to learning. Someone who is never content to stay where he is, but is always looking for the next step, dance, jump, climb, adventure, learning experience. And someone who will challenge me, but accept me. Iron sharpening iron. That, unfortunately for me, takes time. I am not known for my patience, but I must learn to be patient and slow. God knows who is right for my heart, and vice versa. And I am confident that he is molding me for him and him for me as we speak.

Life is nothing if not an adventure to be lived. I am trying hard to stop and see the wonder in it all...even the minutia. But most of all in my relationships - family, friends, children, colleagues, business associates, romantic friendships, spiritual, even those day to day connections with folks who serve me in line at the store or the bank or the restaurant. I really want God's heart for people, where before I was content to focus on my household. And while our households are important, God needs us to be out there, too.

So here is to new experiences, and the life they can open up to us. Try something new this week!

1 comment:

Maryann said...

You are very inspiring. :-) It's amazing what can happen, when we open up ourselves to God.

I often find myself asking, "what took me so long, to figure this out?".

We all have ups and downs but, knowing that I'm not in it alone is comforting. :-) BIG HUG going your way. Keep up the good work sister!