Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fruit Inspection and Grace

There have been two people in my life of late who has caused me to really reflect on some theological questions. Interested in feedback or thoughts.

The grace of Christ is free, but is it cheap? In other words, can/does Christ offer forgiveness to those who willfully sin with an attitude of "I can't help it so I'm not going to try" or an attitude of "I will enjoy my sin until it runs it's course then I'll ask forgiveness and all will be well"?

Does someone who sins and harms others while doing it get the privilege of their slate being wiped clean if they do repent? Are they still not responsible for the consequences of their actions? Are they still not accountable to those they wronged?

In Matthew, Christ instructs us that making things right with our brothers and sisters is a precursor to offering praise. So, if someone claims to be a Christian now, or be attending church, but have made NO efforts to seek forgiveness for sins committed towards another, and continues to live in such a way to harm another with no efforts to change or make that right, then are they truly a Christian? The Bible does tell us to be careful how we judge, for we cannot know the heart of others...but it also clearly outlines the type of fruit you should see in the life and attitudes of one who has come under the Lordship of Christ.

It seems to me that many "church people" find it all too easy to use Jesus as an anesthesiologist instead of a surgeon. They don't want Him to get in there and dig around and remove parts of them or cause them to die to themselves. They just want to be comfortably numb. They use him as a way to avoid responsibility and accountability. And instead of seeing their actions and thoughts in the light of God's holiness and realizing their need to change, they'd rather view them under the rose colored glasses of grace and use it as an excuse NOT to change (God loves me just like I am) .

Where is the balance? God is Love. Yes. God is merciful. yes. But God is Holy, holy, holy. I don't want to go back to legalism, but the permissiveness that seems to be pervasive in the church makes me sick to my stomach. Yes, grace is free to get. But doesn't it cost us something to keep? Doesn't Paul outline that to us in his instructions:BE YE TRANSFORMED by the renewing of your mind...? Doesn't' that seem to indicate that we have some responsibility in the relationship? Not that we can save ourselves or ever be good enough. Not to go so far as salvation by works. But I cannot bring myself to accepting the theology of "greasy grace", either.

Paradox always gets me. On one hand, grace is not grace if it is stipulated. On the other, Christ is a rock of offense and clearly expects more of us. The closest thing in this life to explain this is the parent/child relationship. I love my kids. I can be angry with them. Dissapointed in them. Downright mad at them. I can expect more, discipline, correct and punish. But I still love them. And I will still extend forgiveness and grace to them. But I will hold them accountable. I'm dealing with this in Ethan right now. He seems to always be "accidently" hurting his brother. He will do something, say he's sorry and ask forgiveness, then get angry at Noah if Noah is not willing to just forgive and forget about it. But where is Ethan's heart? Is he truly sorry? My guess is no - for he is right back doing the very same thing within hours...sometimes minutes and right back to expecting no consequences if 1) he claims it was an accident and 2) he apologizes and asks for forgiveness.

I believe I am in covenant with Christ. I know I have done things to bring Him shame or disappointment. I know I have hurt others (though I will say I do not usually do it intentionally - the exception to that is my divorce. I know there were times I was intentionally trying to hurt my ex). I am grateful for the free grace of Christ extended to me. But I am also keenly aware of my responsibility to that grace. I honor the gift, not taking it for granted. I am careful not to abuse it, not becuase I think God will zap me if I do, but becuase I am in relationship and I want to represent Him well. I don't want to stand before Him one day only to hear Him say "now who are you? I don't know you..."

I am not God and therefore am not the source of unlimited, unconditional grace and love. But I can say this: seems to me a very dangerous thing to think all sin or bad decisions in your life is negated by a flippant "please forgive me, God" or regular attendance at a church. As our Heavenly Father, seems to me that God would not be showing us love, nor justice (of which He is the perfect balance between) by letting us live like the devil and claim His grace. Seems to me Jesus should not be used as a personal endorsement to justify our selfish lives and choices. If I let my children do whatever they wanted or treat people however they wanted and never held them accountable or let them experience the consequences, then how much do I love them, really?

Christ tells us to come to Him as we are and let HIM clean us up. Not come as you are...you are just fine. We wouldn't need to come if we were not in need of some sort of fixing. You don't need a savior if there is nothing to save you from.

I welcome thoughts, comments, considerations....

2 comments:

Jen said...

You raise some interesting questions! You know, in my faith we believe "we are saved by grace, after all that we can do." Does that mean that our works can save us? Absolutely not. Only the Savior's perfect atonement makes it possible for us to live with Him again. But it does mean that God requires certain things of us.

He has said, "if you love me, keep my commandments." We show our love for Him by our obedience to his laws. It makes sense to me that the glory we enjoy after this life will correlate to how we lived our lives, and to the knowledge that we had. Where much is given, much is required. This is also a tenet of our faith - we believe that after this life, the degree of glory we attain will be dependent on how we lived.

That said, even the basest, most terrible people (think murderers, etc.) will receive the free gift of resurrection. We will all be resurrected and judged, and even those "bad guys" will receive a level of glory. But those who have persevered, who have made good choices and served the Lord and sought to do right by their fellow men, those saints will receive a greater glory.

And because God is perfect, he's prepared a way for those who never received the Gospel in this life to have that opportunity in the next. As such, all who have lived will be given the opportunity to accept Christ, to be a follower.

This is what we believe. And I think it makes perfect sense, particularly when you think of the questions you have posed.

Some other religions criticize us and say we are not "Christian" because we do not subscribe to the concept that it doesn't matter what we do in life, grace will save us all. But I know that it DOES matter how we live. God is merciful, but He is also fair and just.

I seek every day to do those things that bring me closer to Him, that show my Father I am trying to be like Him, imperfect that I am.

There's a story I love called the "parable of the bicycle." A little boy saved his allowance and wanted to buy a bicycle, so his father took him to the bike shop. The boy found just the right bike, but knew his small amount of money wouldn't cover the bike. They counted his money - just a little over a dollar or so - and compared it to the price of the bike - nearly a hundred dollars. The boy was so sad - he knew he could never save up enough to buy the bike. But his father took him in his arms and said, "Give me all you have saved, and a hug and a kiss, and I will make up the difference."

I know that the Savior makes up the difference for me every day. He accepts my small offering, and does what I cannot possibly do to pay the remainder of the price. I give my best, along with my love, and He makes up the difference.

SW said...

Lori, I've had this exact same struggle, as you know. Here's something you might want to consider. What would Jesus have done if Judas would have come before the cross and begged forgiveness as Christ was hanging there? I don't believe Jesus said it would have been better if his traitor had never been born because he had already condemned him. I believe he made that comment because he knew what change of heart it would require for Judas.

I also consider Zacchaeus's statement that if he cheated anyone then he would pay them back 4 fold. How often do we see that kind of repentence? And if it's this you believe needs to be shown in order for someone to claim salvation, then I think hardly any of us qualify.

Jen, I agree with you that our behavior on this side of eternity affects how we live for eternity. And thinking eternally is the only way I've been able to trust God that how I live my life matters. How someone else chooses to live theirs cannot be my concern. I know it's hard when your children are sent a message that confuses them. Model what you know you need to model before Ethan and Noah and trust God for the rest.