Thursday, February 11, 2010

On Valentine's Day

I'm really looking forward to making some new Valentine's memories.  

In the past, my ex seemed to always choose some sort of special occasion to drop a betrayal bomb on me.  My birthday, our anniversary, ....but Valentine's Day seemed to be his choice more than once.  It's left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.  I know as well as you do that V Day was created by the greeting card cartel, really.  Personally, I prefer $4 Kroger boquets several times a year for no reason to a $50 rose boquet on Valentine's...but it is nice to know your special someone takes a moment to reflect on what you mean to him and how grateful he is to have you in his life.  And, vice versa. 

I am so thankful God sent me Steve.  I spent some time reading some of our early e-mails to one another.  It made me smile to recall all those first meeting butterflies and the anticipation of a new romance.  And reminded me to not let that go too easily.  I want to feel that and stir that in him 20 years from now.    I am grateful for the things we have in common and for our differences.  So I am taking this Valentine's day to reflect upon that - to make sure I'm not taking it for granted.  To celebrate it.  And to replace the old memories surrounding this holiday with new ones more appropriate to the day.  After all, God said in His Word that out of Faith, Hope, and Love, the greatest of the three was Love.  I know He wasn't saying Eros, but Christ embodied love perfectly.  I believe He embodied them all - Eros, Phileo, and Agape. 

And that is what I will strive for this Valentine's day.  To embody love to Steve, his boys, my boys, my friends and family.  To reflect my Savior to the world.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!  For believers:  may you be His hands and feet of love to the lost.  And may you know His love for you.  His unfathomable love.

1 comment:

Jen said...

So beautifully written!

And I agree on the flowers. I'd rather have little reminders out of the blue than a big flower arrangement out of obligation on Valentine's Day.