Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Another Noah-ism

Didn't anticipate this one...

I've tried to avoid the whole "Santa" thing with Christmas. Not his existence, mind you... but the whole idea of lying to my children about a magical man who distributes gifts and his being the center of Christmas. I've really tried (albeit rather unsuccessfully so far) to instruct my children in the real meaning of the holiday and the faith focus it should have, as well as the "better to give" mentality and the importance of gratitude. So, from the start, I have told them the story of St. Nicholas and how adults dress up like him every year to pay tribute to his life, which was a tribute to Christ. Both of my boys know that mommy is "Santa" and why.

Tonight, however, the restaurant we ate in had a Santa and was letting the kids get pictures with him. For the first time ever, both of my boys were interested in getting their photo with the dude in the red fuzzy suit (probably because we were eating with some Santa believing cousins). Afterwards, Noah told me that I was NOT the real Santa. I was fake...because I didn't have a beard and I didn't have hair on my belly (I think he was referring to the suit... of course, I'm very glad to have a belly free of hair).

Not sure what the moral here is. All I know is I'm one of the few parents I know who chose to not fill their kids heads with this lie, yet here I am accused of lying because the evidence is clear...there sits a fat man with a white beard and a "hairy" suit...and he is DEFINITELY not me. :)

Yep...didn't see that one coming.

No comments: