Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thanksgiving '08

One of the biggest blessings about moving back to Ohio is reconnecting with my family. Know what? I got a great family. Oh, we have our quirks, but who else can say they grew up so close to such extended family. I mean, I not only had my grandparents around all the time, I had cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends that might as well have been family. And we are all friends. Even when there is tension...we are friends. And it's wonderful...


I remember many times riding on Poppies back as " Ol' Tob"...my "horsey". And Grannie always had cookies and chocolate milk for me - and was either cooking or quilting. I'm glad to be celebrating another Thanksgiving with them.


Grandma Bertha has amazed me. She, too, always had something delicious to eat and all of us kids loved spending the night in the feather beds upstairs. We'd play 'apartments' - converting the bedrooms upstairs to our own little homes. We'd also roller skate or ride our bikes around the basement - it was always that clean and uncluttered. I am so proud of the way she has not only survived, but even flourished after the death of my grandpa. I know she misses him, but she didn't let that make her stop living. She has inspired me.

After dinner with the family in Ohio, we took off to meet the Funderburk's in Gatlinburg again. This time we were joined by my mom and dad, and by Uncle Philip...The boys were so excited!

We found out that my Brother, Sister-in-law, and their kids were in Gatlinburg the same weekend with the Powell's (my Sister-in-law's parents). So we all met up for an evening together at the Dixie Stampede. It was great fun. Ethan got to participate in the chicken chase and Brandon and I were chosen to race the stick horses. Yep. Our showchoir training came through - we were in step together. And we won. Thank you, Chris Beiser!!!! :)

Here is Ethan with cousin's Lexi and Desi. Lexi and Ethan are peas in a pod. Desi is the perfect little mother to Noah...he loves her doting on him!

It wouldn't be right not to get a few candids. This is my boys just chillin' and watching TV. They can't do it without some sort of "flourish"...(can't imagine where they get that from...)

It just feels right to be home again. I miss my friends and my church in MN, but I don't miss the situation, the winter weather, the loneliness... THIS is sooooo much better for me and for my boys.





No comments: