Friday, December 8, 2006

Nonetheless...

Rob and I were talking about a conversation he had recently. The man asked him if he could sum up the Bible in one word, what would it be. My thought was "love". Rob couldn't do one, but he managed two: "grace" and "truth" (as the scripture describes Christ). This man had a very interesting response that has had me thinking. His word: "nonetheless". Then he proceeded to quote scriptures that used "nonetheless" or "nevertheless" in them such as (paraphrased) "nonetheless Samson's hair began to grow again", "nonetheless God would not listen to the curse of Balaam and blessed instead", "nonetheless, though God was angry with Israel, he raised up judges to deliver them from their oppressors"...just to name a few. The point? Scripture is full of examples of men who failed God, yet was still blessed or used by God, or examples of places where God was completely fed up with man yet still extended mercy. Wow. Isn't that wonderful to know? That God can use me DESPITE me? That it is not contingent on what I do, or how I act? That I can stumble or fall a million times and still come to the cross and find grace and mercy? This, of course, does not mean I can live any way I wish (Romans 6:1) for though the gift of salvation is free to receive, it costs everything to pursue. It's just liberating to know it's OK to NOT be perfect. It's OK to make mistakes - and to not be looking over my shoulder for the "hammer of God" or that lightening strike from the heavens.

I suppose that "nonetheless" is really another way of saying "grace" or "mercy". I may be wrong here (I have not studied all 'holy' books), but I believe the Judaeo-Christian scripture is the only holy writing that does not shirk or hide the fallen nature of man. God puts it all out there for the world to see as an example of His mercy and longsuffering with mankind. Adultery, murder, incest, theft, lying, deception, blackmail, cheating, rape, homosexuality, greed, lust, gluttony...you name it, it's there. Hollywood has NOTHING on the Bible. These examples do not dishonor our God, but display Him as the God who is merciful, patient, gracious and loving. I like this definition of grace: when we get what we don't deserve, and don't get what we deserve." Praise be to God! His love endures forever!

No comments: