Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fav's entry #3

Trees


Today's entry is a mixed one. I've always loved trees. The things that live on and in them. Climbing them. The smell. The sounds. The different shapes of leaves. The differing textures and colors of bark. The tall, straight ones and the short, gnarled ones. I always loved the story of the Swiss Family Robinson and envied their tree home. Trees make me feel safe, protected. Yet can be ominous and mysterious and downright scary to a young girl at night on a camping trip hearing their creaks in the wind. My heart aches whenever I see the aftermath of a storm such as Ohio had in the fall - and all the beautiful, majestic trees that are destroyed. I think trees are the main reason I like Autumn so much. Trees and sweaters. And cuddling. :)

However, this week, I had an experience with a tree indirectly that has tainted my love a bit. I walked outside to go to church Sunday morning and my WHITE van was covered in the most vile bird poop I have ever seen. Ever. In my 37 years. It was brown and chunky. It looked more like puke than poop. And we are not talking one, two or even 10 spots. These were rock and roll birds who had a drunken party all night long with every bird friend they knew and destroyed my car like a band would destroy a hotel room. I'm not even exaggerating a bit here.

Normally I am not a very vain person when it comes to my vehicles. Cars get dirty. I don't really care. They are simply a means to get me from point A to point B. But I was EMBARRASSED to drive this car to church. I did, but I wore my sunglasses and parked in the farthest spot in the lot. My cousins Tom and Melissa had a great laugh when they saw it.

All because I parked underneath a tree. A lovely tree that I told my mom and dad they should NOT, under any circumstances save disease, cut down in their front yard. Now, my loyalties are in question as I park across the street. By a pole. A branch-less, lifeless utility pole that looks like every other utility pole on my street. But at least I have a cleaner car.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Thank you, Mr. Langa. You are certainly welcome to visit anytime.

And thank you for the suggestions... I will check out these other blogs.

Lori