Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Smart Boards....

Are possibly THE coolest thing ever! My new job is at a Technology Magnet School in St. Paul. Every teacher has their own iBook and a SmartBoard in their rooms. If I have a kid who has is learning disabled for writing and I'm supposed to provide him/her copies of my notes, anything I write on the board can be printed off immediately with the touch of a button. I can integrate charts, graphs or images directly off the internet because we are also wired and wireless. It's AWESOME!!! Everything written on the board or typed can be manipulated by hand directly on the board...for instance: I had the students divide their paper into 2 columns, label one side "rotation" and the other side "revolution" (I did the same on the board). Then I wrote several words that had to do with each such as "axis", "orbit", "365", "24", "year", "day", etc. and asked the kids to write each word in the correct column. Afterwards, we checked it together and all I had to do was touch each word on the board and drag it under the column I had drawn. The print off a copy for my IEP students - we are talking FREAKIN' GREAT!!!!

Of course, I still use the overhead sometimes because my staff computer hasn't gotten the software for the scanner installed yet and I'm not re-typing all my stuff. The kids call me "old school" when I use it. Can you imagine? Now where's my chalk....? ;)

No comments: